- Make a video that reveals the one word that is your personal theme for 2008
- Reenact the best of worst thing that happened to you in 2007
- What cool things have you done with your mobile phone this year?
- In 2008 what kind of cool mobile phone should Samsong develop for you?
Users can browse the videos using Google map and pick videos by location.
From a marketing point of view, while it is nice to see a huge mobile consumer brand interacting with users, IMO this campaign is not appealing enough; or in other words -- it lacks any real added value for the users.
1. YouTube users can upload their own created content to YouTube any day, therefore there is not much of an offer here. Plus, the current Samsung campaign limits users' videos up to a minute long while YouTube allows up to 10 minutes and 100 MB.
2. There is no clear incentive. Best clips will gain...? What? Self expression? A sense of belonging to a community? The perceived value should be the clearest message in any campaign.
3. And the worst: while a mobile consumer brand is involved in this campaign, there is no use of the mobile channel. How come there is no mobile offering in this campaign? Samsung could easily offer that the best 3 clips will be available on the mobile; or best suggestions (answers to questions 3 and 4) will be taken into development; or best clips will win Samsung handsets... ?